Tuesday, April 29, 2014

What's in a Name

Names are funny things. I have struggled with finding a name for this blog that rings true with me. I have seen so many blogs that have these awesome names and I always wonder how they came up with them. Most of the time, the story is as great as the name itself! I feel storyless!
There is this great coffee house in Kamloops BC called, The Art We Are. At first, I thought, what a strange name.. But then I got it! It's such a cool place too. It's a mishmash of mixed styles of tables with unmatched chairs. The walls are covered in art in every form from stained glass and mosaics, to mixed media and sketches and paintings. One wall is a floor to ceiling brick wall with 100s of tiny folded notes crammed in to various nooks and crevices. I find myself wanting to pull out some and read them, but I don't. It would feel like such an invasion somehow. Maybe there is nothing written on them, but I suspect that is not the case. In fact, I'm somehow sure of it. An artists wailing wall perhaps. There are also shelves of other arts such as handmade cards, fiber arts, pottery, etc for sale. All the art is for sale! On weekend evenings, there is often live music too, although I'm never there for that.. I wish I was. As soon as you walk in, the essence of the place surrounds you and there it is.. The name makes perfect sense.
I want a name for my blog like that name! I want to come up with a name that makes it make sense and invites all who stumble on it or come deliberately, to see it, and feel that it makes sense. Something tells me that it will be a case that goes something like when you bring a new pet home.. You have to watch it for a while and see its personality before you can give it a handle that fits. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment