Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Making of a Master (Masterboard that is)



So over this past weekend, I found a large piece of cardboard that made up the backing of a stack of large pull off area maps. These maps measure roughly the size of a piece of posterboard, so my immediate thought was ah ha.. a Masterboard! I grabbed my rather large bin of bits and pieces and started madly gluing this and that here and there. What I ended up with looked like this.




After gluing enough bits down to make a large dent in my scrap stash, I coated it all with a coat of gesso resulting in this. 



At this point, I felt a bit skeptical but kept at it nonetheless. The bits did add a nice texture and depth though. I grabbed some various book pages, maps from an old atlas and even some music pages and got the Gelli plate and painted using bubble wrap and other things to give some pattern to the painting. At times during my painting, I would run the brayer over the gesso on the board, or clean my bubble wrap off on it, and even flipped my Gelli plate over here and there to clean it off of excess paint. 




After coating the result with a light coating of gesso again,


I ripped and cut the painted pages into various shapes and glued them down in random order all over top the board. Then I added more paint in random places, stamped paint with a rubber stamp and bottle cap. 


and we have this 

Another light coating of gesso to tone things down a bit...


More paint and some rubber stamping.. 


 another light coating of gesso..


A final bit of paint, some ink and some stamping. Some detail added with a Pitt pen..



Finally, I cut the whole sheet up to make 9 postcard backgrounds. 
 

3 postcards made from these got mailed today but I did get pics so I will add those tomorrow! I hope everyone had a creative weekend! 




2 comments: